Find Posts By Topic

Gunman Kills Five Before Taking His Own Life

A gunman killed five people in a violent rampage, and later took his own life after police cornered him in West Seattle Wednesday, following a five-hour citywide manhunt.

At 10:52 am, the 40-year-old suspect, Ian Stawicki, walked into Café Racer, near NE 59th Street and Roosevelt Way NE, approached the counter, and ordered a coffee.

When Café staff reminded Stawicki they had banned him from the business—for his erratic behavior—he calmly turned towards the door. Stawicki then drew a .45 pistol, and opened fire on staff and patrons inside the café, shooting several of them at close range, execution style.

Four of Stawicki’s five victims in the café were killed in the shooting.

Police received a flurry of 911 calls about the shooting at 11:01, and officers were on-scene five minutes later. But by then, Stawicki had walked out of the café and headed for First Hill.

Following the cafe shooting, more than 100 detectives and officers from specialized units, along with patrol units and federal authorities, fanned out across the city looking for Stawicki.

A half hour later, Stawicki approached a woman in a parking lot at 8th and Seneca, pistol-whipped her, knocked her to the ground, and shot her in the head, fatally wounding her. The first 911 calls about the shooting came in at 11:32 am, and officers were at the scene by 11:34. But, again, Stawicki had fled the scene, this time in the woman’s Mercedes SUV.

Stawicki drove to West Seattle, and abandoned the stolen SUV—along with one of his handguns—near Delridge Way SW and SW Dakota Street.

Just after 4pm, a plainclothes detective—who was heavily involved in identifying Stawicki through surveillance footage from Café Racer—spotted Stawicki near 36th Avenue and SW Morgan Street. The detective called for backup, and officers moved in to arrest Stawicki.

As officers approached Stawicki on the street, he knelt to the ground, pulled out another .45 handgun, and shot himself in the head.

Medics rushed Stawicki to Harborview, where he later died from his wounds.

The Seattle Police Department is providing audio of several 911 calls and police audio from yesterday’s incidents.

Seattle Channel: Press Conference – Update on May 30th Shootings