Find Posts By Topic

Officers stop dangerous armed felon running onto Seattle U campus

On March 15th, at approximately 10:45 pm, East Precinct officers responded to a call of a man who had menaced another with a handgun at 12th Avenue and East Jefferson Street.  The victim was able to provide a description of the suspect car and a partial license plate description after the suspect had left in that car.  Officers arrived in the area and located a car matching the description in the area.  Officers attempted to stop the car and it finally did stop in the 1500 Block of East Jefferson.  As officers were getting ready to approach the car,  it suddenly took off again at a high rate of speed.  A short pursuit ensued, but was terminated shortly thereafter.  Officers in the area observed the suspect vehicle return to 12th Avenue and East Marion Street, where it turned to enter the Seattle University campus.

Officers followed into the campus parking lot  and observed the suspect driver get out of the car and begin running.  The male suspect ran up the stairs, with an officer pursuing him on foot.  As the officer reached the top of the stairs, he saw the suspect crouched down along a path.  The suspect had a silver, 9mm semi automatic handgun in his waistband, which he removed and raised.  The suspect then fled on foot again, with the gun in his hand.  The suspect ran around the corner of the chapel on campus and tossed the gun into the reflection pool located along the south side of the chapel.  The officer was able to catch up to the suspect as he was entering the reflection pool.  As the officer reached out to take hold of the suspect, the suspect turned and struck the officer in the head.  The officer was able to maintain his hold on the suspect, but the suspect continued to fight.  At one point during the fight, the suspect attempted to grab onto the officer’s holsted service pistol.  Additional officers and a Seattle University Security Officer arrived and assisted in taking the suspect into custody. 

The 29 year old suspect was taken into custody and the tossed gun was recovered.  The East Precinct officer was transported to Harborview Medical Center for injuries he sustained during the fight.  He was treated and released several hours later.

A check of the suspect’s name revealed that he is a six time convicted felon and thus prohibited from possessing a firearm. 

The suspect was later booked into the King County Jail for Investigation of Violation of the Uniform Firearms Act (VUFA), Investigation of  Felony Eluding, and Investigation of  Assault.