Find Posts By Topic

Man Arrested After Going On Early Morning Rampage Inside Capitol Hill Parking Garage

A 33-year-old man is in custody after he caused extensive property damage with a stolen truck inside a Capitol Hill parking garage early Monday morning. Police believe the suspect was experiencing a drug-induced crisis.

At approximately 12:30 am, officers responded to an initial report of a possible impaired driver near Boren Avenue and Cherry Street. As officers were responding to that incident, security from Swedish Hospital reported that an erratically driven white pick up truck had somehow gained entry into the secured parking garage in the 1100 block of Madison. The driver of the truck reportedly rammed an exit gate, struck a parked car on the street, and then re-entered the garage.  The truck had been recently reported as stolen. The driver of the stolen truck then struck two other vehicles inside the garage. Officers responded to the garage and located the suspect driving erratically in circles and up and down the exit ramps. Officers deployed spike strips inside the garage in an attempt to stop him. The truck’s tires were flattened, but the suspect continued to drive.

The suspect eventually parked the truck and turned up the stereo. Officers could see that the man was naked. The suspect armed himself with a hammer and smashed out the windows of another vehicle inside the garage, got in and spray painted the windows in an effort to conceal himself. SWAT and police negotiators responded to the scene and attempted to talk with the suspect, but he ignored them.

At one point the suspect went back to the stolen truck and attempted to flee, but SWAT officers used their vehicles to block the truck.

Officers caught the man outside of the truck at 4 a.m. They tased him and placed him under arrest.

The suspect was taken to the hospital and then later booked into the King County Jail. He is being investigated for burglary, auto theft, possession of stolen property, malicious mischief, DUI and hit and run.

This remains an active and on-going investigation.