Find Posts By Topic

Police Arrest Three, Seize Gun at Alki Beach

Police closed Alki Beach Park early on Saturday night after a strong-arm robbery and multiple fights and assaults broke out in an unusually large crowd.

In addition to the regular Memorial Day weekend beach crowds, the department was aware of social media posts about a large gathering at Alki Beach slated for Saturday evening. Based on the attendance at similar events in other cities, the department staffed accordingly, with police patrolling the area from Don Armeni Boat Ramp to the Alki Point Lighthouse.

By 7:00 p.m., a large group playing amplified music had formed near Marine Avenue Southwest and Alki Avenue Southwest. In that area between 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m., police broke up a fight (all parties declined medical attention and declined to participate in an investigation), took a report for a strong-arm robbery, and checked on a highly-intoxicated 18-year-old who was in and out of consciousness. SPD EMTs requested Seattle Fire responded and determined the woman was in stable condition; she was eventually picked up from the scene by a family member.

Nearby at 60th Avenue Southwest and Alki Avenue Southwest, police were flagged down at 8:10 p.m. about a man pacing in a parking lot with a firearm in his hand. Police determined the man had brandished the weapon, and officers seized the handgun from the apparently intoxicated man.

At 8:45 p.m., police began making announcements to the crowd at Marine Avenue Southwest and Alki Avenue Southwest to keep the Alki Trail clear for pedestrians. The group was occupying the entire walkway, forcing other pedestrians to walk in the street to get by.

Another fight broke out just before 9:30 p.m., and two men were arrested for fighting. As police were breaking up the fight between the two men, an officer’s thumb was broken. No assault charges were sought for the injury because it was unintentional. However, a woman was also arrested at the scene for a minor assault on a different officer.

At the request of the Seattle Parks Department, officers began putting out beach fires at 9:30 p.m., and then instructed beachgoers to leave the area at about 10:00 p.m. As people began to leave, a woman reported she was pepper sprayed near 59th Avenue Southwest and Alki Avenue Southwest, but she did not stay in the area to make a report or get medical attention.

The group marched out of the area southbound on Alki Avenue Southwest. Several bottles were thrown at officers and multiple fireworks were lit within the crowd. Group members climbed on patrol cars as they left the area, but did no damage to the vehicles. The crowd left the area by 11:00 p.m.