There will be traffic impacts for downtown as a result of the visit by President Obama on Sunday and Monday.
The President will arrive late Sunday afternoon and will remain overnight, leaving again early on Monday morning.
- Some streets will be closed in the area of the Westin Hotel.
- Virginia Street will be closed from 4th Avenue to 6th Avenue, beginning early afternoon on Sunday and remaining closed until about mid-morning on Monday.
- There will be no access to Virginia Street from any of the adjacent alleys.
- Access from Stewart Street on the south side is open, as is access from Lenora Street on the north, but there is no access to exit the alley to Virginia Street.
- 5th Avenue will be closed from Lenora to Stewart Street, beginning early afternoon on Sunday and remaining closed until about mid-morning on Monday.
- The parking lot on the west side of 5th Avenue, between Lenora and Virginia Streets, will be accessible from the alley off Lenora Street.
- The parking garage on the SE corner of 5th Avenue and Lenora Street will be accessible from the alley off Lenora Street only.
- The Westin Building Parking Garage will not be accessible during these hours unless arrangements have been made with the US Secret Service.
- Avis Rent-A-Car has been contacted and arrangements have been made to enable their customer’s access.
- Pedestrians will not be restricted with only 2 exceptions: The sidewalk on the south side of Virginia, between 5th and 6th Avenue will be closed the entire time of the visit. The sidewalk on the north side of Virginia, between 5th and 6th Avenue will be closed during arrival and departure only.
- Metro Transit has been advised and will be rerouting their busses during the hours of the closure.