Find Posts By Topic

Canine Unit Successfully Apprehends Assault Suspect in North Seattle

A Seattle Police canine unit apprehended a fleeing assault suspect after a string of calls throughout the night and early morning in North Seattle.

On January 12th at approximately 9:13 p.m. officers responded to the first of a series of 911 calls involving the same male suspect.  It all started when the adult male suspect assaulted his wife in an altercation at Children’s Hospital located at 4800 Sand Point Way NE.  The suspect fled the scene before officers arrived.

At 11:14 p.m. the suspect called his wife and threatened to kill himself.  Information received by 911 dispatchers indicated that the suspect was likely still in the area of the hospital.  Responding officers conducted an area check however, the suspect was not located.

On January 13th at 12:31 a.m. the suspect came back to the hospital and was told to leave.  At this point a canine officer had responded and was out on foot with his dog checking the area as an update came in to the 911 center that the suspect was walking away from the hospital on foot (witnesses were unable to provide any more specifics).

At 2:19 a.m. a citizen called 911 reporting a prowler sneaking around his home in the 4500 block of NE 50th Street, which is in close proximity to Children’s Hospital.

The canine unit was tracking north when an update came in that the suspect was seen in a fenced yard on the other side of Sand Point Way NE.

The suspect saw patrol officers and the canine closing in on him.  He fled to the other side of the yard and climbed over a 10-foot chain link fence to get away.  Officers ran to the other side of the yard and ordered the suspect to stop.  The suspect refused to stop and continued to run away.

The canine was released and successfully stopped the suspect a short distance later.  Officers placed the suspect under arrest without further incident.  It was determined that the same suspect was involved in all of the above-listed calls to 911.

The suspect was subsequently booked into the King County Jail for misdemeanor Domestic Violence Assault.