Find Posts By Topic

Significant Property Damage, Officers Injured During Protest

Update 7/20/20:

In response to community concerns, we are releasing body-worn video around the Sunday afternoon protests where 12 officers were injured.

In the following video, you can see that as protestors approached the West Precinct officers saw a man walk up to the secured garage doors of the building and hold an umbrella up to intentionally block the view of a security camera. Officers moved in to escort the person away from the doors and were immediately assaulted with bottles, street cones, and fireworks. One officer was struck in the neck and injured by fragmentation from one of the explosions resulting in that officer being hospitalized.

During the confrontation, officers used OC spray and stop the assault from the crowd. Officers arrested one person for assault and a second for theft of a police bicycle.

We are releasing this video in an attempt to be transparent and will continue to release videos of significant incidents.

Original 7/19/20:

Individuals participating in a large demonstration Sunday were responsible for a significant amount of property damage to government buildings and private businesses in Seattle.  At least a dozen officers were injured and there were two arrests made.

A peaceful protest began in Westlake Park at 10:30 a.m. this morning.  About three hours later, a second group showed up, carrying baseball bats.  The group began marching southbound on Fifth Avenue.  During the march, individuals within the group broke windows and tagged buildings with paint.  The group headed south to the Seattle Police Headquarters and Seattle Municipal Court where they broke windows and spray painted both buildings.  The demonstration then marched northbound on Third Avenue, where some businesses were targeted by individuals with more smashed windows, looting, and graffiti on the walls.

The group eventually made it to the West Precinct and some individuals attempted to break into the building. Protesters threw rocks and bottles at the officers who were outside defending the precinct. An unknown person or persons threw multiple large mortar-type fireworks at officers from a close range.  Multiple officers were injured by the fireworks thrown at them.  Two of the officers suffered lacerations and abrasion injuries while a third officer sustained burns to his neck area and needed to be treated by the Seattle Fire Department.  He was later transported to the hospital.  A total of twelve officers were injured. Blast balls and pepper spray were used to stop the assault on officers.  Officers arrested two individuals, one for assault and the other for theft.

The march then made its way up to Capitol Hill, where individuals in the group committed more property damage and looting.  A small fire was set inside one of the businesses after the windows were broken out.  The fire was extinguished. Eventually the group went to the East Precinct where several individuals smashed out the front windows.  A large, mortar-type firework was thrown inside the lobby of the precinct, causing a small fire.  The fire was extinguished quickly.  Officers located another unlit large mortar-type firework nearby.

The protesters made their way to Cal Anderson Park, where the group eventually broke up.

According the Incident Commander, individuals within this group appeared to be very organized and this appeared to be a very concerted effort at property damage of certain businesses and government facilities.

Arson/Bomb detectives along with members of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms are conducting the follow-up investigations related to the arson and the fireworks. Detectives will be following up on the reported property damage and looting incidents.  This remains an active and on-going investigation.  Anyone with information is asked to contact the Seattle Police Department.