Find Posts By Topic

Suspect Monfort planned more Murder & Mayhem

On November 6th at approximately 2:36 p.m. Seattle Police Homicide detectives received a tip about a car matching the description of a possible suspect vehicle used in the slaying of Officer Tim Brenton.  Detectives responded to an apartment complex parking lot in the 13700 block of 56th Avenue South in Tukwila, located the possible suspect vehicle under a tarp and set up surveillance. While detectives were watching the vehicle, an adult male suspect emerged.  Detectives attempted to contact the suspect at which point the suspect drew a handgun, pointed it at the detectives and pulled the trigger. The gun didn’t fire. The suspect took off running with the detectives in chase. 

The suspect stopped in a stairwell near his apartment and was manipulating the gun in an apparent attempt to clear a malfunction. The suspect once again pointed the gun at detectives and the detectives fired on the suspect in self defense, striking him at least once.  The suspect was taken into custody and transported to Harborview Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.  No detectives were injured. 

The Tukwila Police Department is handling the crime scene investigation and the King County Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit is conducting the officer-involved shooting investigation. 

The Seattle Police Department continues its active and vigorous investigation of this case.  Detectives have determined several important facts at this point in the investigation:

Detectives have recovered DNA evidence from both the October 22nd arson scene at the city maintenance facility and the scene of Officer Brenton’s murder on October 31st.  The DNA evidence matches that of Monfort. 

Detectives recovered a .223 caliber rifle from Monfort’s apartment in Tukwila.  A ballistics test of that weapon identifies it as the firearm used in Officer Brenton’s murder and Officer Sweeney’s attempted murder. 

Also recovered from Monfort’s apartment was a considerable amount of bomb-making material and evidence that indicates that the type of explosive devices Monfort was in the process of making or had made were even more lethal than the ones used in the October 22nd arson.  He clearly was intending to inflict even more destruction in his next criminal attack.  

Further examination of the explosive devices used in the October 22nd arson and of the devices found in his apartment indicate that Monfort was intending to harm first responders to the scene, i.e. police and fire department personnel.    

Evidence recovered from Monfort’s Datsun 210 reveal that the car was struck by at least one of Officer Sweeney’s bullets fired from her service weapon during the October 31st incident.   

Monfort remains under treatment at Harborview Medical Center.  For any inquiries regarding criminal charges, please call the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.  

The Seattle Police Department would like to sincerely thank the community and all the law enforcement agencies that showed their support for us during this difficult time. We would also like to thank the media for assisting us in disseminating information to the public regarding these incidents, Officer Brenton’s memorial service, and the on-going investigation.