Find Posts By Topic

Man Fatally Shot After Threatening Officers With Broken Bottle at Gas Works Park (Update)

North Precinct Officers shot a man in Gas Works Park this morning after he attacked a security guard and then threatened them with a broken bottle.

Officers were patroling Gas Works Park in the 2100 block of N. Northlake Way at about 2:45 this morning when a security guard approached them and said a transient male had attacked him in the park.

The security guard saw the man had lit a small fire in the park and asked him to extinguish it and leave Gasworks. In response, the suspect attacked the security guard, who ran from the man and contacted officers. After speaking with the guard, officers radioed for assistance from the department’s Crisis Intervention Team.

A Crisis Intervention Team officer responded to the scene, contacted the agitated suspect, and attempted to deescalate the situation.

The suspect suddenly broke a glass bottle and brandished it at officers.

Two officers attempted to use Tasers to subdue the suspect, but neither officers Taser had an effect on the armed man.

The suspect, still armed with the glass bottle, then advanced on a group of officers. Two officers opened fire, striking the suspect multiple times. The suspect had moved so close to the officers during the confrontation that the suspect fell on top of an officer, who had stumbled to the ground following the shooting.

Officers took the suspect into custody and immediately called for Seattle Fire Department Medics.

Medics transported the suspect to Harborview Medical Center with life threatening injuries.

Detectives from the Force Investigations Team as well as Crime Scene Investigators are collecting statements and evidence. Per department policy,  a member of the Office of Profesional Accountability was on hand to observe the investigation.

No officers were injured in the confrontation. The security guard sustained minor injuries in the incident.

The two officers who fired shots during the incident will be placed on paid administrative leave, as per standard department policy.

This remains an active investigation and we will provide more details on this case as they become available.

Update: The suspect shot by officers has died. He is a white male in his 40s. The King County Medical Examiner’s Office will release the man’s identity.