Find Posts By Topic

SPD Releases Body-Cam Footage of Confrontation with Armed Man on Capitol Hill

Update 3/21: 

Seattle police and the King County Sheriff’s Office are investigating following a non-fatal officer-involved shooting in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.

At 9:20 PM on March 19th, police received a 911 call from the family member of a 37-year-old man, who was in crisis and had armed himself with a handgun. The man left his apartment in the 1600 block of Melrose Avenue on foot after telling a family member he wanted police to shoot him.

In footage captured at the scene by surveillance cameras and police body-worn video, the suspect can be seen leaving his apartment building, carrying a gun in his hand, at 9:27 PM before being contacted by police.

Two minutes later, video from officer body-cam shows a police contact team communicating with the man, who appeared to be manipulating the slide of a handgun, and did not follow officers’ instructions to drop his weapon. “You’re gonna shoot me, because I’m not putting this gun down,” the man said. “That’s what I want.”  After making that statement, the man raised his handgun and pointed it at officers.

Officers fired, striking the man, who was taken into custody and transported to Harborview Medical Center. A handgun was recovered at the scene.  His injuries are considered non-life-threatening.

Detectives from the Force Investigation Team, CSI, and Homicide responded, as well as representatives from the Office of Police Accountability and the Inspector General.

Per the Department’s agreement with King County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO), and in line with Initiative 940, investigators from KCSO also responded to begin an independent investigation.

This remains an active and on-going investigation.


Seattle Police Force Investigation Team (FIT) detectives are investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred earlier this evening in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Officers were called to a report of a suicidal man armed with a gun in the 1600 block of Melrose around 9:20 p.m. Moments after arriving, officers made contact with the armed suspect, and gave him verbal commands to drop his weapon. The suspect shot his firearm at the officers, and officers returned fire, striking him. Officers provided immediate emergency care, and called for Seattle Fire Department medics, who transported the suspect to Harborview Medical Center.

The suspect’s current medical condition is unknown.

Seattle Police Homicide and Crime Scene Investigations detectives responded, as well as representatives from the Office of Police Accountability and the Office of the Inspector General.

This remains an active and on-going investigation. Details provided are preliminary and subject to change as the investigation proceeds.