Find Posts By Topic

Friday – August 7, 2020

#2020-233759/South Precinct/Third Watch:

On 8-7-2020 at 0305 hours, a Patrol Officer was driving back to the South Precinct when he came upon a vehicle committing traffic offenses. The vehicle turned out to be stolen. The driver/suspect was arrested without incident after a High-Risk Vehicle Stop. The suspect was booked into the King County Jail for Investigation of Possession of Stolen Vehicle and an outstanding DOC Escape Warrant. 

#2020-233935/South Precinct/First Watch:

On 8-7-20 at 0920 hours, a group of protestors gathered a few blocks from the South Precinct. For the past several days there has been a group collecting and bringing bags of garbage to the South precinct and chanting anti-police chants. Today the group approached on foot from the field across the street while chanting and playing instruments. The group chanted for approx. 30 mins and then left the bags of garbage on the front stairs of the South precinct. The group chanted and asked several questions for another 30 mins before leaving and heading eastbound. The group blocked e/b traffic during the protest. Patrol units assisted with traffic control and safety for the protestors. The Protest group was approx. 50-60 people in size. No further incidents occurred during this peaceful demonstration. 

#2020-234123/South Precinct/Second Watch:

On 8-7-2020 at 1339 hours, SPD Traffic, South Precinct Patrol, and the Washington State Patrol all responded to assist the Seattle Fire Department with a significant fire under the Lucile Street overpass near Airport Way South. Two tents were set on fire by a possible known subject (not confirmed). The fire marshal responded and will notify SPD Arson. No injuries reported. 

#2020-234245/North Precinct/Second Watch:

On 8-7-2020 at 1613 hours, patrol responded to multiple 911 calls regarding two cars racing around the area of Green Lake Way N and N 50. The pursuing car was occupied by two males.  One of the males was seen firing a handgun at the car being chased. The driver of the car being chased (Suspect #1) called 911 to say that he was being chased after an attempted robbery where he was the victim. The occupants of the pursuing car called 911 to report that they were chasing after someone who had robbed them. Gunshots were heard during the 911 call. Both cars were stopped by officers. A gun was seen in the passenger side of the pursuing car. All of the parties were arrested and taken to the North Pct. The cars were impounded. Robbery Unit Detectives responded and interviewed the suspects. As of the writing of this SIR the actual events that took place prior to the vehicle chase have not been determined. The occupants of the pursuing car were booked into the King County Jail for Drive by Shooting. 

#2020-234341/South Precinct/Second Watch:

On 8-7-2020 at 1808 hours, officers responded to a report of 75-100 protesters blocking the roadway at M.L. King Jr. Way S/S Othello St. Upon arrival, patrol officers monitored the group as they marched in the roadway peacefully north in the NB lanes of M.L. King Jr. Way to S. Willow St. The group then marched SB in the south lanes back to S. Othello St. The group them marched to Othello Park where they dispersed. There were no confrontations and the demonstrators were in the roadway for no more that 45-60 minutes. 

#2020-234558/East Precinct/Third Watch:

On 8-7-2020 at 1900 hours, multiple groups totaling about 300 people met to protest a business in the 500blk of 15 AV E. The business had private armed security and the group delivered speeches before marching to another location at 23/Union. This location also had private security and fencing outside their property. The group stayed in the intersection and members of the group could be heard telling the crowd to stay off the property and to protest peacefully. The group remained peaceful at both locations. The main body of this group then dispersed from this location at approx. 2315, leaving behind a group of approximately 40 individuals who gathered together with plywood shields, at least one baseball bat, and other items capable of causing harm. The group that remained then began marching westbound on Union with one vehicle leading and about eight vehicles following. The group sprayed graffiti at multiple locations along their march and a green laser was pointed at 3 different residents of apartments who were either filming or voicing disapproval from their windows. Officers were unable to locate who was using the laser. The group eventually made its way to the East Precinct where they spray-painted the barriers securing the fencing. The group then moved to Cal Anderson Park and dispersed from there just before 0100. At least two of the vehicles following the group were observed dispensing items to the crowd and multiple people were observed utilizing radios to coordinate their activities.